mounted device icons not appearing in F9 (rawhide)

rlengland at verizon.net rlengland at verizon.net
Fri Apr 25 20:43:00 UTC 2008

>From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
>Date: 2008/04/25 Fri PM 01:13:25 CDT
>To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: mounted device icons not appearing in F9 (rawhide)

>On Friday 25 April 2008 04:46:03 Richard England wrote:
>> I have what I believe is a fully updated rawhide F9 installation with
>> NFS functioning.
>>
>> I have entries in /etc/fstab and the   "mount /mnt/foo"  commands work
>> as expected and data is accessible on the mounted drives (mounted from
>> other systems on my internal home network).
>>
>> The only issue I'm seeing is that the desktop icons are not appearing on
>> the F9 system.
>>
>> The mounts are being done by opening a new terminal and su'ing to root.
>> In past release this caused the desktop icons to appear. Is anyone else
>> seeing this behaviour?  Any suggestions on where to investigate?
>>
>> I was unsuccessful locating anything resembling this on Bugzilla.
>>
>I'm not sure that we are going to get the desktop icons - and I for one do
>prefer them, for their visibility.  In F9 a widget pops up when such a device
>is inserted, and in that widget you elect to open it in dolphin.  You can
>configure the length of time that the widget stays visible.
>
>The question I asked was how to umount it.  I was told that it is done within
>dolphin - the icon in the left-hand panel.  It works, no doubt about it, but
>I don't like it much.  For one thing, it feels clumsy in the extreme to open
>it by one method and then use a totally unrelated method to umount it.
>
>Anne

I wasn't real clear, I guess.

The mounted devices, in my case, are not removable devices.  They are disks that exist on other computers on my network that are shared by NFS.  (BTW, I see the same issue with smb/cifs.)  I manually perform the mounts when needed. using "mount /mnt/<exported_directory>"  with  the appropriated entries added to fstab....

Also, I'm using Gnome, if that matters.

Trying to read between the lines, is the fstab entry technique deprecated?  Is there a new process that is supposed to be used?  I suffer from a certain amount of inertia, here.  If it works, I just keep on using the same technique.  Perhaps I missed the change.

Enlighten me, anyone?

Thanks,

~~R

~~R