amd phenom

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 22:09:07 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 19:04 +0200, Ken Gullaksen wrote:
> Hi, i'm new to this list.
> Sorry if this question is out of place for this list, but I'm wondering
> if anyone has run Fedora with the new AMD Phenom quad core processor,
> and if so, how this has worked out.
>
> Best regards,

While I've yet to buy a Phenom (should buy one next month), out of
previous experience (Dual core Opterons and Athlon64's, Quad core Xeons
and dual core Xeons and C2D's), AMD Phenom should be detected and work
out of the box.
Be aware that if you're using the older stepping (B2) that includes the
infamous TLB errata, you may have to manually patch the kernel [1] to
avoid this errata. (A patched solves the problem and saves the need for
a performance-killing BIOS fix).
Never the less, if you just bought a new Phenom CPU (B3 stepping), it
should work just fine. (Without the need for a BIOS or kernel fix)

- Gilboa
[1] https://www.x86-64.org/pipermail/discuss/2007-December/010260.html