Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Sat Apr 26 07:11:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 00:03 +0200, Daniele Guazzoni wrote:
> I try to come back to the initial topic.
>
> I'm following since RedHat 5.0 (which I bought in a bookstore).
> As a network and security engineer the reason why to use Linux, BSD, ... but not Microsoft is pretty clear.
> I've just simply get pissed off (sorry for my rudeness) of apply updates to security holes twice a week...
> I know that the guys and girls in Redmond have evolved and their OS, from the security point of view, are now better then years ago but still...
>
> I have nothing against paying for a piece of software but I want it reliable and I still want to know what's running under my desk.
> I personally think that the RH approach (cutting-edge for free on Fedora and stable but licensed on RHEL) is absolutely ok.
> It should also be clear that at the end of the day they want to see money flowing in (and keep sponsoring Fedora).
>
> One of the greatest feature of Fedora is the strong community behind it.
> If suddenly RH decide to drop the workstation market don't you think that someone will pick up the challenge ?
> If you look back at the days RedHat Linux was for free there was only a handful developers and look at Fedora now !
>
> I partially agree with the "lazy" statement earlier in this discussion.
> How many of you has once in life compiled the source code and installed manually KDE or Gnome ?
> Meaning: yes there was a life without RPM !
> Maybe some of you lost the knowledge (or never realized) how Linux works, the way is set up, the inner-sanctum...
> Maybe some of you are used of insert a DVD, click a few time and have a system running in 15 minutes...
> Or simply some of you complains about bugs or missing features and forgets that you just downloaded it for free...
>
> Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy the easy-life of a graphical setup, wizards and system-tools but if I miss something I'm not lazy enough and I write some shell scripts or compile my own code.

I agree totally- which is what pisses me off about selinux: I like to
exactly whats going on.

The biggest problem nowadays is that if you compile the code you need to
know where to stick it and integrate it with all the other rpm loaded
stuff. Which is why I'd love to cross totally over to FreeBSD where
ports do a better job than rpms and I can compile whatever the hell I
want without causing issues about how to integrate.

I like control of my own systems- I believe a lot of linux is drawing
further away from that and more towards the M$ way...