Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 16:11:38 UTC 2008

--- Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> >
> > I find the comment interesting as well here
> >
> >> Why should I be interested in a distribution
> >> that makes it difficult for me to make my own
> >> choices about whether a license is acceptable
> >> or not? I don't have a problem with downloading
> my
> >> own copy of any particular code from any
> particular
> >> place under any conditions that I find
> acceptable.
> >
> > It is very legitimate.  If something does not work
> the
> > way you want it, you have to go your own way and
> while
> > Fedora does not open the doors fully open, it does
> not
> > close the doors to you either.
>
> So you like it because it's not quite impossible to
> do what you want?

Yes, it is not impossible.  Just leave the default
Fedora stuff alone, put the stuff you need elsewhere
and you are good to go.  Fedora does not prohibit us
from compiling from source and installing our own
programs.  Now if you want to use third party rpms for
the programs that you need, that is another matter,
that is between you, the third party packagers and the
fedora team.  This I cannot say much because I try not
to depend too much on third party packagers.

I commend the third party packagers because they work
hard to make the *non-free stuff* work on Fedora.  The
programs work nicely, but then updates come about and
the program might not work as it did and bugs appear
and it takes time for the mirrors to sync and us users
complain that a certain program is not working.   We
want everything right here right now, and we simply
cannot have that.  It is not a matter of Fedora being
the bad guy, Life is like that in general.

> > If some software is illegal, what will the big
> guys do
> > to a little guy?  Will they sue me because I have
> > nonfree stuff?
>
> If they had any sense, they would arrange simple
> ways for you to get
> legal, licensed copies.

They tried to do that with Fluendo/Codec Buddy, but in
many ways it sucks!  The third party packagers *put
their name here* make programs work in combination
with the fedora programs and everything works as it is
supposed to.

> And the OS would go out of
> its way to make sure
> that the one such copy you obtain continues to run
> for at least the life
> of your machine.  With Java, getting the copy is
> matter of accepting the
> form as you download from the Sun site - getting
> fedora to recognize
> that you have a JVM installed for the packages that
> need one is a whole
> different matter.

The legal staff is the one that recommends that Fedora
do this to avoid potential lawsuits and to restrict
certain stuff from happening.  Java is coming along
very well, in Fedora 8 there was iced tea, in the
upcoming Fedora 9, there will be an adaptation to the
OpenJDK/ whatever it is called and it is working for
me very well.  Of course some of the stuff that Sun
puts in there does not get there because of little
technicalities, but otherwise the product works and
many users appreciate that.

> --
>    Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell at gmail.com