Nix package manger and fedora - anyone have experience?

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Sat Apr 26 20:15:52 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've been looking at the nix package manager,
http://nixos.org/about.html. <http://nixos.org/about.html>  It seems
like it has all kinds of benefits.  The main drawbacks I see are the
extra space (not a big deal these days) and the lack of extensive
repositories.  In exchange it would never be necessary to do upgrades
again as they would be incremental.  And instantly able to be rolled
back.  Dependencies are very explicit, so there are no more update
dependency issues.  The main thing is it seems like it would be very
easy to have any package at the latest revision without affecting
anything else on the system.

Has anyone used it with Fedora, and what was your experience?  Before I
invest a lot of time, if someone has already found a showstopper, I
won't bother.  I was thinking of experimenting with it as a hybrid
system, basics from Fedora, exotics using nix.  Maybe a migration over time.

Actually, if you have used it at all, I would be interested in your
take.  Or even if you haven't but have some insight.

Thanks.

If you want to research this further, here are a couple of links.

http://nixos.org/releases/nix/nix-0.11/manual/

http://igitur-archive.library.uu.nl/dissertations/2006-0118-200031/index.htm