Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 23:34:19 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 09:11 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> I commend the third party packagers because they work
> hard to make the *non-free stuff* work on Fedora.  The
> programs work nicely, but then updates come about and
> the program might not work as it did and bugs appear
> and it takes time for the mirrors to sync and us users
> complain that a certain program is not working.   We
> want everything right here right now, and we simply
> cannot have that.  It is not a matter of Fedora being
> the bad guy, Life is like that in general.

It's not always so hard. I run the nVidia setup straight from nVidia.
When a new kernel is installed, I reboot, X11 complains, I login to
level 3, re-run the run file, compiling the new module, reboot and I'm
good to go, usually within several minutes. I do the same with my webcam
driver. It compiles, builds, I'm good and it works just fine. There ARE
ways, but as mentioned they are additional educational routes and
detours to master. Done wrong, the system dies in nasty ways.
Understanding that I may not bitch to the list about it, when it does
blow up, is also assumed. It's plainly on me for doing it that way. Same
with Java and Firefox. It "works for me(tm)" And, as you wrote Antonio,
Life is like that in General. <tip o' the hat> Ric
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar