Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Francis Earl lunitik at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 20:41:02 UTC 2008

> Yes, I understand that is why the large companies are involved and why
> they want to protect their own interests at the expense of their users.
>   However, that is not why a lot of open source software is written, and
> a lot that was originally written without such restrictions has
> subsequently had the viral GPL applied.

Large companies are involved in open source because it is more cost
effective to provide your share of the total R&D rather than the entire
R&D. They also enjoy the fact that they can still have a say in the
direction of the resulting whole.

GPL is designed to EMPOWER users, to give the control BACK to the user.
You should read the GNU Manifesto some time.

> I'm speaking from a user's perspective, not a distributor making money
> on support.  I'd much rather not have any such restrictions prohibiting
> others from improving the code under their own terms.  I'd rather make
> up my own mind about those terms.  Tivo's OS-X, etc. are all good things
> from a consumer perspective.

Use the livna repo if you do not care about such restrictions. For what
it's worth, a Tivo is a Linux box.