fedora 9 pre release

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Apr 27 23:33:28 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> jdow wrote:
>
>> Rahul, turning your words back on you feel free to explain the technical
>> issues. This issue has raised enough dust it might be wise to help the
>> dust settle.
>
> I already did that in the first mail in this thread.

Excuse all of us who don't feel that "If your sound card doesn't work
out of the box, file a bug report" isn't an explanation of the technical
issues (and seems to assume a single sound card, as well). And
"system-config-soundcard isn't your answer anyway. If you have to
manually configure your soundcard for any program intended for desktop
usage, that is just broken" sounds like an opinion rather than an
explanation.

Neither of your first two posts seem to show ANY reason why
system-config-soundcard was inadequate for the purpose. Maybe I'm
missing the part where you tell people what was wrong with the way we
have been doing it. And "we like something else better" is not a
technical reason, since dropping a tool which people know how to use and
making the default configuration choose different configurations just
invites people to feel as if their time is being wasted.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>