Eth0 not active at startup

Christopher Mocock chris at wavestore.com
Mon Apr 28 14:52:50 UTC 2008

Bob Latham wrote:
> I'm having problems trying to set a static IP address on eth0. I can get
> it to work but it has to be "activated" by hand each time I start the
> machine. There is an option "Activate device when computer starts" but
> although ticked, it appears to do nothing.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Hi,

I had the same problem the other day and a helpful poster informed me
that I had to run:

chkconfig network on

from a terminal (as root I believe). This causes the network service to
be started on each boot. Why it is disabled by default I don't know. I
was using Fedora 9 so I'm guessing you are too.

Anyway, that did the trick for me.

--
Chris Mocock