Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 15:09:06 UTC 2008

max bianco wrote:
> >>  Which is a bizarre thing to be concerned about because the only thing they
>> could possibly do to diminish the value of the original copy would be to
>> improve it so much that no one would want the original.  As a potential user
>> of that improved version, I think that restriction is a bad thing.  And most
>> bizarre of all is the notion that I can't obtain my own copy of a GPL'd
>> library, and someone else's code under their own terms separately.
>>
> The hard work is done by the original author. So if I understand you
> correctly, its ok with you if i use your code, improve it, and
> relicense it so what you freely contributed is now going to cost you
> money. So your hard work now belongs to someone else.

How can it belong to someone else when you still have it - and so does
everyone else that wants it?  The problem is that other people have also
done work that may or may not be free - that part isn't anyone else's
business if the terms are acceptable to the end user and if I need those
things I can't use any GPL'd code combined with it.  And this forces
everyone to keep doing business with Microsoft.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com