Eth0 not active at startup

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 19:06:37 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 15:52 +0100, Christopher Mocock wrote:
> Bob Latham wrote:
> > I'm having problems trying to set a static IP address on eth0. I can get
> > it to work but it has to be "activated" by hand each time I start the
> > machine. There is an option "Activate device when computer starts" but
> > although ticked, it appears to do nothing.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> Hi,
>
> I had the same problem the other day and a helpful poster informed me
> that I had to run:
>
> chkconfig network on
>
> from a terminal (as root I believe). This causes the network service to
> be started on each boot. Why it is disabled by default I don't know. I
> was using Fedora 9 so I'm guessing you are too.

Because in F9 the network is managed by Network Manager (and Network
Manager Dispatcher) which is a different set of scripts. Presumably the
OP's NM config wasn't set up to manage the eth0 interface.

If you click on the System->Administration->Services menu in Gnome,
you'll see NM at the top and network farther down. It's OK to use one or
the other, just don't mix them.

poc