Cleanest way to upgrade F7 to F9 (when the time comes)

McGuffey, David C. DAVID.C.MCGUFFEY at saic.com
Mon Apr 28 21:11:53 UTC 2008

What is the cleanest way to upgrade from version to version (e.g., F7 to
F9 (when it arrives)?

I only have two users on the F7 system right now. All the old Windoze
data from several machines is on a separate disk, mounted and shared
with samba back out to one remaining Windoze desktop (I'm getting closer
to completely firing Bill Gates, but not quite there yet).

I plan to unmount the samba share, tar each user's home and put it on a
500 GB USB drive.  No other data other than some config files in /boot
and /etc will be saved to the USB drive.

Will I run into any conflicts if I do a fresh install of F9, create the
user accounts and groups (keeping the same uid and gid), untar the home
folders, and pull back the key config files?

When I tar the home folders, should I preserve the selinux context?

Dave McGuffey
Principal Information System Security Engineer // NSA-IEM, NSA-IAM
SAIC, IISBU, Columbia, MD