Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Apr 28 21:26:52 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> Do what you feel is best. I have some qualms with how Ubuntu runs
> their distro, but I doubt they are shared by many. By all indications,
> Ubuntu is a better desktop distribution than Fedora.
>
> I applaud RedHat for their focus, and would like to list some of the
> reasons that I use Fedora and not Ubuntu
>
>  * I started linux with RedHat, they made a lot possible for me

I started with the MCC "four floppy" distribution, then SLS, then
Slackware, and came to RH because I was working on machine with RH. And
there I stayed from about 6.0 to present Fedora.

>  * I like RedHat as a company

I have a major stake in Redhat (major part of my money, not theirs) ;')

>  * I like Fedora as a community

Agree, but that's somewhat changing as the Fedora goals change.

>  * I like the idea of pure OSS software, even though i do install
> Flash, Nvidia drivers etc

I have no problem getting the things I need, and many machines run a
pure FC install.

>  * I believe a lot of work gets done in Fedora, although sometimes it
> seems like there is no specific objective in mind

Well said.

>  * I feel that there are far more jerks/iditos/annoyances in the
> Ubuntu community than i would prefer to deal

Lately (since FC6) things in install have become "half-assed automated."
Hardware and network are configured automatically instead of manually,
but they are not configured correctly. In my limited testing of ubuntu
(again, have to support it) I find that's not true, printers and
scanners really just work, *or* I am asked what I want to do. FC9 alpha
never did like to use the soundcard I wanted, couldn't find anything
with bluetooth, and could speak SMB (not CIFS isn't the same).

>  * Fedora works for me

Used to... will give FC9 a fair shot when it eventually ships. Or maybe
when the first unity release ships and it stops changing hourly. :->

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>