Cleanest way to upgrade F7 to F9 (when the time comes)

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Apr 28 22:00:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:11:53 -0400
"McGuffey, David C." <DAVID.C.MCGUFFEY at saic.com> wrote:

> What is the cleanest way to upgrade from version to version (e.g., F7 to
> F9 (when it arrives)?

Make a backup and do a CD or DVD upgrade. You shouldn't need to use the
backup but its always handy for "worst case" situations.

You can do live upgrading but that is a much less tested path and best
done with a bit of experience.

> Will I run into any conflicts if I do a fresh install of F9, create the
> user accounts and groups (keeping the same uid and gid), untar the home
> folders, and pull back the key config files?

Probably not.

> When I tar the home folders, should I preserve the selinux context?

If you've not set any specific ones then forcing a relabel should be
quite sufficient.

Alan