f8: PC dies while using firefox

Nataraj incoming-fedora-list at rjl.com
Tue Apr 29 05:53:16 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 07:04 -0500, Renich Bon Ciric wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been experiencing, lately, some total freezes. The computer just
> dies:
> - The mouse won't respond.
> - The keyboard won't respond.
> - X can't be restarted
>
> The only option is to hard-reset. Once done, firefox looses most of it's
> configuration options and sessions. It doesn't loose field history,
> history and bookmarks.
>
> I have the following addons:
>
> - Google sync
> - Google toolbar
> - Google notebook
> - Facebook toolbar.
>
> I've experienced problems even without these. Tried removing flash with
> no luck...
>
> Anybody experiencing the same problems? Any idea of what's the problem?

I have seen similar problems with firefox on an F7 system, but not
nearly as freqently as it sounds you are having.   I also see firefox
start to use 100% of one of the CPU's.  I suspect that java applications
cause some of these problems.  One possibility is that memory leaks are
causing firefox to use up all of your swap space.

You could leave top or htop running in a window, or even a shell loop
something like this:

while true; do free;ps aux --sort -pcpu,-vsz| head -20;sleep 2; done

and see if you can find out what is going on when the system freezes.
Beyond that I think there is a way to load a debug kernel and force a
crash dump to file a bug report with (I don't remember off hand how to
do that).

Nataraj