where can i find the default keyrings???

Bradley Pursley pursley001 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 29 17:14:36 UTC 2008

max bianco wrote:

>>> Your not paying attention. The original post asked where changes could
>>> be made and I answered that question. Keyring manager is where a
>>> legitimate user makes his/her changes. If your foolish enough to
>>> forget all your passwords and depend on the keyring manager to
>>> remember them all for you, well that's another issue all together. In
>>> either case if evolution asks for the email password and you provide
>>> it then it will work without needing to consult the keyring manager.
>>> It sounds to me like someone is phishing.....
>>>
>>> Max
>>>

>>  Your response was rude and very presuming and I take offense to it.
>>  Here is why I need to know where the files are:
>>
>>  1)  I am the sole administrator for both machines that I have.
>>  2)  I am the sole person who set them up and configured them but never set
>> up any "keyring" passwords.
>>  3)  The system started prompting me for the default keyring password, which
>> was never set up, to save the network key for a wireless connection.
>>  4)  No password ever used on the system works for the so-called "default
>> keyring password".
>>  5)  As such, I believe that the keyring file is corrupted and needs to be
>> deleted and recreated, which means I need to know where they are.
>>

> You can take offense if you like, if you have the keyring manager
> installed, it is a simple matter to delete the keyrings, if you have
> even bothered to try, but it doesn't sound like it. Editing corrupted
> files by hand, assuming they will even open is not likely to work,
> IMHO. However google may enlighten you like it did me as to their
> location if you take the time to use it that is. In addition you are
> not the author of the original post as near as I can tell.
>
> Max
(I'm going to ignore any further personal attacks)

Okay, I'll lay it out for you just so you'll stop making those false
assumptions and yes, I was not the original author but was hoping for an
answer to my problem.

The keyring manager will not work, nor any other program that uses the
keyrings, because it requires a password, which I don't have, for a
"default" keyring.  This all started when I started using Network
Manager to connect via a wireless network and it started asking for a
password so that it could save the network key required to connect.
Since I don't have they keyring password it won't save the network key
and now prompts for it, along with the keyring password, every time you
log into the system.  Mind you, this is not a critical problem but is a
major nuisance since the network key is a secured 25 digit hexidecimal
number.

Now, my options appear to be to change a setting unknown to me, delete
the files and recreate them or find some utility to "fix" the files.
Granted, I am not against having to use some kind of option to
re-install the software and overwrite the configuration files since
nothing has been permanently saved.

Bradley