Sound input problems on Shuttle SN68PTG5

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 22:50:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:58:08 +0100, Mike Evans wrote:

> Yes - it still happens with that newer Beta of audacity.  I'm fairly
> convinced it's not an audacity problem - I'm just using that program
> because it has a stereo visual sound meter.  My experience with Skype
> with a mic plugged in was similar - very noisy and sound only on left.
> Right channel seems completely dead.  Playback is perfect.

If other applications show similar symptoms, it looks more like a driver
problem. A quick Google search reveals that ALC883 (at least) is known for
causing problems.

> Interestingly alsamixer in a terminal _does_ recognise the chip as
> Realtek ALC888, whereas Fedora soundcard detection only offered me
> ALC883.  So despite my worry in an earlier post maybe the driver isn't
> confused after all - just buggy?

Might be worth a try to ask on one of the ALSA Project mailing-lists:

It's likely you will be asked for the audio related output of
"lspci -v".

--
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) - Linux 2.6.23.15-137.fc8
loadavg: 1.24 1.36 1.36