****Re: openldap + kmail

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Apr 30 05:19:46 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 23:49 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 20:45 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > > If there had been a single example given in this case
> > > it would have been obvious what the program was looking for.
> > > One example is worth a thousand words.
> > ----
> > the issue with kaddressbook is the same issue with all ldap
> > clients...once you understand how ldap works, setting up a client like
> > kaddressbook is no big deal. Basically, everything is a client to LDAP
> > whether it's postfix/sendmail/cyrus/kaddressbook/evolution/etc. There
> > really is no functional difference because they all use LDAP protocol
> > access and get what they need.
> >
> > What you are calling a lack of documentation suggests that you expect
> > all the various LDAP client programs to tell you how LDAP works.
>
> It's not unreasonable to ask for an example. The average user has zero
> interest in finding out how LDAP works, and a lot of interest in getting
> his contacts working.
----
Yes - it actually is unreasonable since there is no standard way of
setting up LDAP address books.

Since we seem to keep having this discussion...let me restate so we are
clear.

There simply is no standard for LDAP address books.

There simply is no standard way to set anything up in LDAP...it's an
erector set.

Feel free to write up something that explains how to set up LDAP and
integrate client applications such as address book clients.

Craig