Problem loading Fedora

Fred Erickson frederickson at iname.com
Wed Apr 30 06:17:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 11:15 -0500, Darrick Fitzgerald Ward wrote:
> The icon continues to rotate as if it is still loading but it does nothing and I have let it continue for hours.  So I
> am at the step where it says formating / file system and it does not continue from there.
>
> I have a western digital hard drive and I went to there website and downloaded the software to reformat the hard drive
> and erase everything that was on the hard drive so there should be nothing on the hard drive. It is 80GB. I select
> create new partitions because even though I have tried to choose the other options I get message like not enough space.
>
> I have the ability to download things I need at work and creat cds to take home.
>
> longer had my XP cd and I have had it crash before and wanted to try linux.

> Is there a easier linux load available for cd that I can do and then update to fedora once I have access to the internet.

I think it would be helpful if you downloaded 3 CD's: the Ultimate Boot
CD from ultimatebootcd.com, the latest Knoppix CD, and the Fedora 8 Live
CD.

It sounds like you could have some disk problems that need to be
addressed before you do anything. Both Knoppix and the UBCD can be used
to analyze and hopefully, repair your drive. Knoppix will detect quite a
variety of different hardware and will boot on most machines. The UBCD
has some WD specific utilities - try it first - especially if you're not
too comfortable with Linux. If everything goes good, you can install
from the Fedora Live CD. If not, get a new drive maybe?