User Keyboard problems

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 16:34:14 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:42 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/29/08, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>  > One User has lost use of Keyboard on his home directory,
>
>  This has happened to me in kde. I don't know the correct word for
>  this. There is a feature for disabled users and it is installed by
>  default. If you inadvertently hold down a key, it pops up  with a
>  prompt and if you are not paying attention, you say yes, and then
>  keyboard gets put into a weird mode where it does not seem to work at
>  all. I quit using KDE when I saw what they had planned for version 4,
>  so I don't have access to it right now.  But if you don't make some
>  progress, write back to the list. I will reinstall kde to find the
>  name of that thing.
>
>  A way to test my theory would be either
>  1. in the display manager log in screen, choose a different kind of
>  session, Gnomme, WindowMaker, XFCE, whaatever.  If keys work, you know
>  KDE is to blame.
>  2. log in as a different user. then su to the problem user, cd to his
>  home, mv .kde .kde-old. log out, log in.  That should start from a
>  clean slate.
>

>  --

I was just able to re-produce the problem on a clean system.  In KDE,
sit for a while resting your fingers on the space bar or a key.  After
a while, a warning pops up

"Warning -KDE Accessibility Tool"

Do  you really wan to activate "Slow keys?"

You held down the Shift key for 8 seconds or an application has
requested to change this settings. These AccessX settings are needed
for some users with motion impairments and can be configured in the
KDE control center. You can also turn  them off with standardized
keyboard gestures..."

If you accidentally say "Continue" then it appears as if your keyboard
does not work at all.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson