mutt can't lock nfs mounted 'sent' on fedora 8

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Wed Apr 30 23:05:09 UTC 2008

Did fc8 change the default compilation or configuration of mutt in
some way that affects file locking? Or does mutt 1.5 have a new
default behavior?.

I have some cron jobs that use mutt to send attachments. (Mutt does
this better than mail or mailx.) My home dir is NFS mounted. On fc7
and previous, no problem. On fc8, when I execute:

#  echo 'test email using mutt'|mutt -s  'test email using mutt'
<myemailaddress>

 it hangs up for a while (can't interrupt it with cntl-c or background
it with cntl-z and bg) and then produces this error message:

 fcntl: No locks available (errno = 37)
 Couldn't lock /<myhomedirpath>/sent

 When I run

 #  echo 'test email using mail'|mail -s  'test email using mutt'
<myemailaddress>

 from the same context, it works immediately. So I am pretty sure it
is  not sendmail causing the problem.

 I don't really care whether my outgoing email gets saved in ~/send.
In fact I prefer not to save it.  I tried asking about this on the
mutt list, got a cryptic response "use maildir". Mutt man page doesn't
mention "sent" folder locking, stuff about maildir no help.

Wish I could just get rid of NFS, but it owns me. Is there some
.muttrc setting I could tweak? man muttrc not unhelpful.

Thanks,
Dave