Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 23:52:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 00:38 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> Fedora cannot (as a US organisation) point an end user at a repository
> for free but US patent violating material. Merely providing a link is
> an
> offence and there is caselaw to prove that (the infamous 2600 DVD
> case).

Is this transitive? i.e. if RH points at an offshore site which contains
nothing but pointers to the sensitive material, is it still a violation?
If it's not, problem solved. If it is, then in theory RH would need to
perform a transitive closure on all the web sites it hosts to ensure
there's no path from them to the good stuff (sorry, the bad stuff).

Of course I think like a mathematician, not like a lawyer.

poc