Curious characters in Thunderbird on Linux...

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Aug 1 15:03:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 09:26 -0500, Kevin Martin wrote:
> my encodings /were/ set to force UTF8 in and out.  I've now just
> set that as the default but aren't enforcing them with the
> Preferences->Display->Fonts check boxes anymore.  It looks /better/
> but still non-alphanumeric characters (like apostrophe) are hosed.
> Maybe I'll change my default from UTF8 to one of the ISO "standard"
> encodings and see how it looks.

Was it actually an apostrophe, or something similar looking being
misused as one?

ISO-8859-1 is a common standard, but only much use for very plain
English.  UTF-8 should be supported by just about everything, by now.
But could still come a cropper if it went through a 7-bit system
(they're still around), UTF-7 is supposed to be a solution to that.

You could always give things a bit of a test.  Read man iso-8859-1 in a
console, cut and paste a slab of it into an e-mail, and post it to
yourself.  Try out different encoding options, see what happens.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.