livcecd-iso-to-disk: USB key do not boot (BIOS setup is fine)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Aug 1 17:01:57 UTC 2008

Richard Shaw wrote:

>     Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>         You may have to run "syslinux -s /dev/sdd1". I forget where I
>         found it, but with the version of syslinux included in F8, and
>         probably F9, needs this before the USB key is recognized as a
>         boot device. The latest version is susposed to handle this
>         automatically, but it has not make it to F8 yet.
>
>         Mikkel
>

> The livecd-iso-to-disk script does take care of this for you so I'm not
> surprised.  If there are no errors generated then the USB drive and MB
> BIOS may just not like each other. If you can afford to buy a different
> brand usb memory stick I would try that. I use a 4GB Corsair Flash
> Voyager stick and it works fine in my HP 8510 laptop.
>
> Richard.

I am trying to find where it said that again, but I know I had to do
it to make it work on my system when I used the livecd-iso-to-disk
script from the F9 live CD and an F8 system. The latest syslinux for
F8 is livecd-iso-to-disk script and you need version 3.5.0 or later
for it to work. (The F8 livecd-iso-to-disk script does not support
persistent overlays.

There is a good howto at:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

Mikkel