awstats munged httpd rights in SElinux, how to fix?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Aug 2 02:56:47 UTC 2008

Tim:
>> I'd still stick with using your computer as yourself, just use another
>> terminal as root for configuration issues.  Especially if you're opening
>> your computer up to the world as a webserver.  You do want as much
>> protection as you can manage, in that situation.

Gene Heskett:
> I'm not directly connected to the net here, dd-wrt, x86 version
> running on an old 450 mhz k6-iii is between me and the black hats.  It
> gets about 500 root login attempts a day, but the password is both
> long and unique.

In that case, the main worries would be that they could find an exploit
in a webserver that doesn't require a logon (abusing guestbook scripts,
and the like), or just abusing mail forms to send spam through your
service to someone else.  I get a few script kiddies rattling the
windows on my website, but they only get 404s.  I don't have the scripts
that they're looking for to exploit.

I don't have remote shell access, I haven't thought of a reason that I'd
really want it.  One day I might set things so I can access my mail
servers remotely, but not before I've figured out how to do it securely
(i.e. encrypted access only).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686