F8 & F9: Date & Time

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Aug 2 03:05:30 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 09:30 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> In F8, on every reboot, the date and/or time settings get really
> messed up.  I am not allowed to set the 'adjust Date & Time'
> settings via the "tool" (upper-right corner) even when I log
> in as root - the Calendar/Time dialog is greyed-out, meaning
> it is not available so I have to resort to the date command-line
> setting to get it right.  Even tho, a reboot screws it up all over
> again.  The screwed up date/time setting is not fixed via the
> ntp setting I think because it is so far out of date/time?
>
> In F9, same as in F8, except that I am allowed to set the date/time
> via the GUI interface.
>
> What gives?

As mentioned, running the NTP service disables manual time setting with
the GUI, it's an either/or situation.  What I haven't seen mentioned are
things like:

Have you set your timezone correctly?

Does your hardware clock run on GMT or local time?

Are you dual-booting, and are all the systems configured in the same
way?  (Particularly in regards to the above two questions.)

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.