Wireless LAN cards for Fedora?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Aug 2 15:37:07 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen <at> tmr.com> writes:
>> My Acer say:
>> 05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller
>> (rev 01)
>>          Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Unknown device e003
>>
>> and that doesn't work, even loading the b43, or b43legacy, or b44
>> driver. So now I have a lovely postable desktop, until I find a USB
>> wireless which works.
>
> Did you download the (unfortunately non-redistributable) firmware correctly?

How can I tell? I pulled the v3 and v4 firmware archives from the
suggested sources, ran b43-fwcutter on the .o files, and the .fw files
are in /lib/firmware/b43 (and b43legacy) which appears to be the "right
place."

The modules load, without errors, but there are no interfaces. Do I need
to totally remove NetworkMangler from my system? I've tried with it
active, inactive and service network active, NM managing the device and
not, b43 and b43legacy, and wireless still doesn't work. Someone
suggested that I need to set the "fwpostfix" value on module load, but
in true Linux wireless tradition there is no doc on what value is
needed, either in the README* files or the module source.

> Please install b43-fwcutter if you don't have it yet and
> read /usr/share/doc/b43-fwcutter-011/README.Fedora (and follow the instructions
> in it).

Instructions are nice, I followed them before asking the question. As
long as people don't call that "documentation." It's at best "say this
incantation and it will work by magic" instructions. I suspect that NM
is the problem, it usually is.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>