How add a path to fonts to xset?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 16:04:46 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 16:18 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:

> >> Too complicated, Patrick! Is not there any gui?
> >
> > If you want a GUI you don't want xset. xset is for setting stuff
> > (including the font path) from the command-line. And it's not that
> > complicated: xset fp=list,of,directories
> >
> > What exactly are you trying to do?
>
> I am trying to get Mathematica 6.0.3 to work. When I try to run it, I
> get the following:
>
> $ xset:  bad font path element (#23), possible causes are:
>     Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>     Directory missing fonts.dir
>     Incorrect font server address or syntax
>
> Any ideas?

Fonts are now held in /etc/X11/fontpath.d, however the error message is
unclear about which font is causing the problem. Try:

# ls /etc/X11/fontpath.d/*/fonts.dir

and look for missing fonts.dir files.

BTW, is this is a version of Mathmatica specifically for Fedora 9? If
not, the problem might be that it's assuming the old-style xfs setup.

poc