Installing from DVD image via ftp

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 07:29:16 UTC 2008

    >> Since the CD/DVD drive on a particular computer is unreliable,
    >> I am trying to install via ftp.
    >>
    >> I moved the Fedora-9-is86-DVD.iso image to the /pub directory
    >> of my ftp server, and tried supplying a URL to point to it (I
    >> tried both the image, and the pub directory as the URL). In
    >> each case, it appears to be looking for a file
    >> /pub/images/stage2.img (or something like that - I don't have
    >> the message in front of me right now.).
    >>
    >> How do I set up bfor ftp install? I can't find instructions.
    >> -- Colin Adams Preston Lancashire
    >>
    >> --

    Antonio> While I do not know if the advice below will help(or
    Antonio> applies to Fedora 9), you may give it a try in the
    Antonio> meantime, if you do not mind of course

    Antonio> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/fedora-install-guide-en/fc5/ch-other-install-methods.html

    Antonio> Sorry for the double post, but here is the newer guide
    Antonio> for fedora 9 from install notes:

    Antonio> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f9/en_US/ch-other-install-methods.html#sn-alt-install-method

Actually, I had read that.

I am installing from F9 CD number 1, and specifiying the askmethod
option.

I have created a fedora9 directory within /pub for vsftpd, and mounted
the DVD.iso on it.

Then I spelect the URL method, and when asked for a URL, point it at
the fedora9 directory.

The vsftpd.log file shows the machine accessing various files withihn
fedora9/images, the last one being stage2.img. But the installation
program says it is unable to retrieve stage2.image.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire