ssh / bind help?

William Murray w.j.murray at rl.ac.uk
Sun Aug 3 21:42:28 UTC 2008

  Hello guys,
               I have 5 machines in a home network, all running F9, with
named/bind providing local DNS.
A couple of weeks ago a problem appeared: ssh hangs for internal
connections. No doubt
I had misconfigured the thing years ago, as bind mystifies me, but an
update must have triggered it.

The problem is that reverse lookups hang forever; here is the end of
"ssh -vvv XXX"
debug1: Next authentication method: gssapi-with-mic
debug3: Trying to reverse map address 168.254.0.251.
Note the 'dot' at the end.
If I try nslookup 168.254.0.251 it works fine, but 168.254.0.251. does not.

Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong? Here is named.conf, in case
that helps.
Thank you!

acl ashenden {
    168.254.0.0/24;
};

options {
    allow-query {
    168.254.0.0/24;
    localhost;
};

listen-on port 53 {
         127.0.0.1;
         ashenden;
};
    listen-on-v6 port 53 { ::1; };
    directory     "/var/named";
    dump-file     "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
        statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
        memstatistics-file "/var/named/data/named_mem_stats.txt";

    recursion yes;
};

logging {
        channel default_debug {