How to recover root password

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Aug 4 02:30:44 UTC 2008

Ricky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a root passwd which was so secure that even i cannot remember it
> now, lol!
>
> Can Someone help as to how i can recover it!!!!???
>

> Any suggestions???

If the owner of the system was even slightly security conscious there is
not only a root password, but a grub password, a boot sequence which
only includes the disk, and a BIOS password so the boot sequence can't
be changed.

If the system is secure you also need the passwords for each encrypted
filesystem.

These are good steps to follow, particularly with a laptop, even if you
think you never answered any questions, keep no secure information, etc.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>