Disk error

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 4 15:09:07 UTC 2008

Patrick Dupre wrote:
<snip>
ok. we are getting closer.

now, cutting old history is making things easier, but there is still
some kind of problem with emails. here after, when you reply, put 1 line
space after what you are replying to. this should clear up what i am
getting on this end.

for these next questions, please answer *each* question and after each.

>  sha1sum /dev/sr0
> 7675a64b7c57558a554aeb2be934e1e96bd36962  /dev/sr0

1] which system and drive did above come from?

}} on: 08/03/2008 07:19 PM, you posted;
}} sha1sum /dev/sr0
}} 780a625141cc355305c9631f08981eb632cac0b9  /dev/sr0

2] which system and drive did above come from?

3] what does you sha1sum file show sum should be?

after receiving above, and drive/disk info below, then more
answers suggestions to possible solution to your problems.

>> The media is -R, but when I bought it I choose a -+R.

use '+r' only. someone may have shifted a '-r' into '+r' section to
catch you. check container label, if it shows '+r' and you have '-r',
you need to return them.

**_do_not_** get r/w disk. they can go bad during reusing and are not
worth what you save. they are ok for periodic backups, but only if you
make 3 sets or do not mind chancing a loss of data.

mag tape is only dependable r/w media and even then you can lose data.

>> With K3b, I do not see how to check, no read option

[most all good and well written programs within a gui window will have
 a 'menu bar'. any time you open a new program, check each selection.
 this will help answer many questions and you do not have to on others.]

open k3b, select 'settings > configure k3b > devices' this will show
drive specs. note what it can read and what it can burn.

for cd/dvd disks, with disk in tray, in upper left of k3b, you will see
a disk icon and drive listed. right click on icon, note menu. select
'disk info', this information will tell you what disk specs are.

>> It is a  NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A, but this not the reader which
>> makes problems !

ok. you need k3b on system that has drive giving problems or use google.
with k3b, do above information checks on it also. it is possible that
drive is not able to read dvd type that you have burned.

- --

tc,hago.

.