subpixel LCD fonts smoothing

David Hláčik david at hlacik.eu
Mon Aug 4 17:58:59 UTC 2008

Well, i followed tutorial to install ported rpms from ubuntu :
http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=186789
and then also installed from livna freetype-freeworld.
According to tutorial freetype-freeworld only provides 2 patches to freetype
i.e patented bytecode interpreter and subpixel rendering .

Actually it really interests me the way how fonts are rendered. As i
understand correctly, Fedora does not have those "renderings" becouse they
are patented , or not open?

To open discussion i found this :

> David Tuner of freetype created some excellent patches which provide
> superior subpixel redering which very much improves the appearance of fonts.
> At one time, these patches were readily available and could be applied to
> the packages of the day. Since then, David Turner made the decision that
> these patches could infringe on patents and so since then, these patches
> have not been maintained and upgraded to the latest packages. The freetype
> portion of the patches does exist in current freetype packages, but is
> shipped disabled. Unfortunately, there are 2 other areas where patches are
> needed and these are not maintained: cairo and Xft. Without the cairo and
> Xft patches, I could not get acceptable subpixel rendering. Searching for
> the magic lamp, led to this howto, as I might want to implement this again,
> and I am certain that I will loose the notes. As every howto on subpixel
> rendering I found was wanting, this one probably is also.

Thanks in advance!

David