F8/F9 Multiboot question

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Mon Aug 4 18:35:11 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Monday 04 August 2008 18:27:56 Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> >
> > Never mind!  I got myself out of the problem!
> >
> How?  Someone will see this in the archives and will want to know the
> answer :-)
>
> Anne

ok, fair enough!

I followed Tim's instructions, but did this with Fedora-Live CD:

1) Boot in Fedora-Live
    + Open Shell Terminal Window

2) fdisk -l

    *** note!!! ***
    + Disk drives are DIFFERENT, not necessarily the same as when booted
in Fedora!

        For example, when you boot in Fedora (the real thing), the 3
disks for
        me it was:
        /dev/sda - PATA
        /dev/sdb - SATA-1
        /dev/sdc - SATA-2

        In Fedora-Live, is displayed as:
        /dev/sdb (PATA)
        /dev/sdc (SATA-2)
        /dev/sdd (SATA-1)

3) grub

    a) find /grub/stage1
        In my case, it showed:
        (hd1,0) - SATA-2 - boot-sys - the next 2 partitions are the NEW
drive I am trying to construct per Tim's instructions
        (hd1,1) - SATA-2 - boot-f8
        (hd1,2) - SATA-2 - boot-f9
        (hd2,2) - SATA-1 - boot-f8 - this is my original "untouched"
drive where I started originally. This was the grub I "popped"

    b) setup (hd2)
        (grub has installed the MBR and fixed my original drive problem
- output was similar to Tim's instructions)

    c) quit
    d) Reboot - I was able to get my original drive back up and running!)

The new drive I am still working on is:

    SATA-2 (750GB)
    ======================
    *** Note *** Actual sizes are not exact!
    /dev/sdc1 - boot-sys (100MB)
    /dev/sdc2 - f8-boot   (100MB)
    /dev/sdc3 - f9-boot   (100MB)
    /dev/sdc4 - Extended Partition
    /dev/sdc5 - f8-root    (175GB)
    /dev/sdc6 - f9-root    (175GB)
    /dev/sdc7 - f-App1    (351GB)
    /dev/sdc8 - swap        (~5GB) (I have 2GB RAM)

 To be continued....

Cheers!
Dan