F8 & F9: Date & Time

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Mon Aug 4 19:20:16 UTC 2008

Todd Denniston wrote:

> Daniel B. Thurman wrote, On 08/01/2008 09:28 PM:
> > Jeremy wrote:
> >> Hello Dan,
> >>
> >> Do you have the ntp daemon installed? If so check your /etc/ntp.conf
> >> file. Also check if the ntp daemon is running (system - administartion
> >> - services).
> >>
> >> Jeremy
> > Uh oh, top posting? ;)
> >
> > Yes, ntp is running and is properly, I believe.  It snaps in
> > once I get the time setting close enough.  Somehow time
> > is off anywhere from 2-8 hours in the past or in the future
> > after a reboot.
>
> A) are you dual booting with windows or any other OS/distribution (even
> another instance of Fedora)?
>     {perhaps the other OS thinks the hardware clock is/[is not] on UTC.}

Yes, w2kPro, XP, Vista, f8, and f9

> B) what are the contents of /etc/adjtime and /etc/sysconfig/clock?
>     {repeat this question for each instance of Fedora|Unix installed
> on the
> machine.}

# cat /etc/adjtime
0.568903 1217870667 0.000000
1217870667
LOCAL

cat /etc/sysconfig/clock
# The ZONE parameter is only evaluated by system-config-date.
# The time zone of the system is defined by the contents of /etc/localtime.
ZONE="America/Los Angeles"

> C) it seems strange that the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd is not syncing the
> clock
> before kicking off ntpd.
> you may need to add the following line to /etc/sysconfig/ntpd
> dostep=yes
>
> D) have you tried adding '-g' to OPTIONS=... in /etc/sysconfig/ntpd ?

Ok, added the above.  I will follow up on results soon.

> E) are you using a static IP or dynamic?
>     on a wired network or wireless?
>   {Network manager (the default now) works well on wireless dynamic IP
> networks, but from what has been said on this list, if you are on a wired
> network using static IP's then it is best to `chkconfig NetworkManager
> off`,
> `chkconfig network on`.  if you are on static wireless or dynamic
> wired, it is
> a tossup as to which is best to use.   NM has been set to come up
> AFTER many
> of the services that REQUIRE networking.}

1. Static IP
2. NetManager is disabled
3. network service is enabled.

I have always done it this way due to having static ip addresses.

Note: I did not have a date problem (that I was aware of) until very
recently
           and I ran all three (w2kPro, XP, f8) w/ no problems for a
"long" time.
           It wasn't until I added in Vista and f9 when I noticed it.  I
ran updates
           on all OS's so it is hard to tell where the culprit
originated.  I also, in
           addition to the time/date problem started noticing that on
boot up for f9
           ONLY, a forced fsck fix ensued because the time/date was "in
the future"
           (or so  f9 believes) and this continues even now, and then
the sendmail/dovecot
           group-writable issue cropped up, stating with f9, then later
with f8.

           Very strange.

Dan