Alpine prospects??

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Mon Aug 4 20:56:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 20:13:29 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

> As many here must know, U Washington laid off some large number of the
> Pine/Alpine team last May. Now there is talk, in some places online, of
> UW dropping all support for this superb software.

	There is a new post on gmane.mail.alpine.info (which reflects the
alpine list at http://www.washington.edu/alpine/alpine-info/) from Steve
Hubert, in the name of the alpine team, responding to a post from Robert
Holtzman titled "alpine status."

	It says there will be a new release soon, and that UW will remain
the primary source, "but shift our effort from direct development into
more of a consultation and coordination role to help integrate
contributions from the community."

	Sounds to me like they've been studying Fedora or something like
it -- and may soon be inviting others to help code. Strength to their
arms!

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
nine (count 'em -- nine) different browsers