F 9 problems to install

Per Anton Ronning pa-ronn at online.no
Tue Aug 5 09:29:38 UTC 2008

I was asked not to hijack another thread, instead I ought to start a new
one, which I now do. Sorry - my mistake.

I now reply to both Mikkel and Alan:

Mikkel:
 > It didn't halt - it switched to the GUI display, but > your monitor
could not display the video it was
 > receiving.

OK. But the installation itself was GUI-based, so that must have
confused me into thinking that X windows was working.

Alan:

> Odd.. when you say "does not find" what occurs ?

THIS HAPPENS:
from root: setup
The box "Choose a Tool" comes up, at the bottom I find "X configuration"

Running this option I see a flash of the text "Cannot find X ..:" before the screen goes black and "out of range" appears.
Esc brings me back to the toolbox.

from root - startx:
No devices detected
No screens found
and a message telling "unable to connect to X server"

Per Anton Ronning wrote:
> I bought the August '08 issue of Linux Format with an F 9
> DVD.
> I have also bought a new machine (made to order by an internet based
> vendor, and no op.sys. installed)
> The installation procedure seemed to go OK, except for one thing:  I
> was not asked to create a user account.
> When rebooting after the "Congratulations" screen,  the PC stopped.
> ("Enabling /etc/fstab swaps" was the last [OK] message before it halted.)
> My  22"  CHIMEI CMV223D LCD screen went black and the message "out of
> range" appeared, according to the vendor this means that it has got a
> signal which it is unable to process.
> The display driver is NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT.

It didn't halt - it switched to the GUI display, but your monitor could
not display the video it was receiving.

>  From the Linux Format forum I got the tip to boot at runlevel 3,
> which I did, and then I reached the login prompt. Since the
> installation procedure did not ask me to specify a user name (blank
> was not recognized) I logged on to root. which went OK.  Now things
> seemed normal in character mode.
> I typed "setup" and got a setup which included X.
> I tried to configure, but the display driver models did not include
> CHIMEI  or CMV223D anywhere, so   then I thought I would have to try
> at random.

The display driver is for the video card, NOT the monitor.

> I did, and that went wrong. Now it does not find X11 at all.
> (Lesson: Do not run experiments at random)
> I guess I can take care of this by reinstalling F 9, if everything
> else fails.

Boot into run level 3, and run setup again, or run system-config-display.

> Does anyone know why I am not asked to create a user account?

That part of setup is normally down on first boot, but you did not see
it. You can use the useradd command to add one from the command line.
THere is a GUI to do it as well, byt you have to have X working.

Mikkel