F8 & F9: Date & Time

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Aug 5 15:08:38 UTC 2008

Todd Denniston wrote:
>> F9: /etc/adjtime:
>> ============
>> 0.071197 1217706790 0.000000
>> 1217706790
>> UTC
>
> To work with MS, the last line of /etc/adjtime is REQUIRED to be LOCAL

There is a registry change, at least for XP, that allows the clock
to be set to UTC, and have the time displayed in local time. So far,
I have not had any problems with it... There is a warning on the
site that some programs may have trouble with it.

http://miknight.blogspot.com/2006/06/storing-system-time-in-utc-in-windows.html

> The magic key is at:
> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation\RealTimeIsUniversal
> It's a DWORD that needs to be set to 1 (I had to create it). Of
> course, you need to reboot afterwards.
>
> There have been reports of side-effects, but so far it seems OK for me.

Mikkel