Messed up my ISP/Networkmanager connection !?

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Tue Aug 5 18:07:35 UTC 2008

Hi Patrick
On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 09:27 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 04:18 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > "httpd: could not reliably determine the servers fully qualified
> > domain name using 127.0.0.1 for server name."
>
> Bill, you do realize that 127.0.0.1 is localhost, right? I don't know
> what your problem is, but I would start from there.

Yes.  This was part of a self-imposed network learning exercise, so I
had already learnt the importance of 127.0.0.1 loopback.

First problem; my 'hosts' file backup was recovered. So I think that was
what I had. Every manual and the file itself said don't touch this file.
I touched it.  Did I get it back to its original shape? I tried
replacing 127.0.0.1 with 192.168.1.3 which 'ifconfig' and 'hostname -va'
say is my inet addr.  (Why it is not 192.168.1.1 is a question for
another day).

My ifcfg-eth0 script says:
# nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:1a:92:e5:dc:47
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=CASE
NM_CONTROLLED=no
TYPE=Ethernet
DNS1=192.168.1.1

'route' also lists the default as 192.168.1.1 not xxx.xxx.x.3

When I look at the NetworkManager 'thingy' (Is thingy spelt 'thingy' or
'thingie'?) there is a whole bunch of blank fields.  Learning what to
put in those fields was the point of the exercise.  I had assumed that
the gui fields would reflect the data in a configuration file somewhere
but it apparently doesn't.

Second problem; I originally used the system-control-network thingy.
Both were on my administration menu. I understand now that that has been
deprecated in favour of system-config-network.  Could that have messed
things up?

This is getting frustrating.  I have always let various frontends in
both Linux and other OSes set up my internet.  The first time I dive in,
reality does not seem to match the manuals and textbooks.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3