Messed up my ISP/Networkmanager connection !?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Aug 5 19:42:09 UTC 2008

William Case wrote:
> Hi Mikkel, Patrick and others
>
> ]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> ; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
> nameserver 192.168.1.1
>
> Re-read man resolv.conf "
> "  On a normally configured system this file should not be necessary.  The
>        only name server to be queried will be on the local machine; the
> domain name is determined from the host name and the  domain  search
> path is constructed from the domain name."
>
> So who or what is 192.168.1.1?  Can it be my cheapo router?  My
> household network is simple. Cat5 lines leading from ever room in the
> house (bought the house that way) to the router; three computers in
> different rooms connected to the router; the router connected to the
> cable modem; and, out.

You set it to 192.168.1.1 with the "DNS1=192.168.1.1" line in
ifcfg-eth0. This overrides what ever your router is sending out as
part of the DHCP information. As Bruce said, comment it out, or
remove it, and restart the interface.

If that does not do the trick, then check your router setup. It is
possible to set up a router so it gives out the wrong DNS server
information though the default setting normally work fine.

Mikkel