Wireless LAN cards for Fedora?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Aug 5 21:41:05 UTC 2008

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Actually, since this is all "noarch" stuff which doesn't depend on
>> release, that's irrelevant, other than his needed to download it by
>> hand.
>
> I think it is quite relevant, especially for someone looking for
> wireless firmware.  He'd be exposing a system that has not had any
> security updates for over a year wirelessly.  That's not a wise idea
> at all, and one that I think should be discouraged on this list.

Feel free, I simply don't think that connecting via wireless is going to
make him notably less secure than connecting via wire. Attacks rarely
depend on something as arcane as running wireless on a year old Linux
security level, the incremental risk is small, assuming the features of
wireless security are followed, and that's modem settings rather than
o/s on modern hardware.

>> Since some hardware vendors haven't moved beyond FC6, a lot of
>> people  need to stay with it. Ubuntu has a better idea here, to make
>> a version  every once in a while a LTS version, to encourage vendors
>> to support it.
>
> The effort to support such a release is quite high.  I rather like
> Todd Denniston's suggestion that RHEL/CentOS releases are comparable
> to Ubuntu's LTS releases in many ways.

My impression is that Ubuntu follows upgrades while RHEL patches bugs,
but I haven't done a real analysis of the updates as they come in, so
don't ignore "impression" and think I spoke with certainty.

> But for better or worse, Fedora releases are only supported for ~13
> months.  And I think it's a disservice to encourage anyone to run them
> on a network after they've been EOL'd.  (I say this as someone that
> has some ancient RHL servers in production still.  But I assume all
> the risks and effort required to keep them properly updated.)

I'm reading this while building the new named from ISC in a VM, so I can
install it on a machine which has no compilers (for security reasons)
and which has a poor justification for a full upgrade.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>