Messed up my ISP/Networkmanager connection !?

Raymond C. Rodgers sinful622 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 22:45:01 UTC 2008

William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have been delving into (messing around with) my network connections
> and now I can't get Network Manger or my browsers to work.
>
> This post attests to the fact that there is some physical connection to
> my ISP cable connection and my eth0 is active; xchat and FM Radio on
> Rhythmbox work.
>
> On booting, NetworkManager is listed as 'failed' -- "setting
> NetworkManger waiting for network - failed".  Then,
>
> "httpd: could not reliably determine the servers fully qualified domain
> name using 127.0.0.1 for server name."
>
> ]$ ifconfig
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1A:92:E5:DC:47
>           inet addr:192.168.1.3  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           inet6 addr: fe80::21a:92ff:fee5:dc47/64 Scope:Link
>
> I was screwing around, experimenting, with the system-control-network
> gui -- incorrectly added stuff to the 'hosts' page and saved.  I got a
> message to the effect 'we will save this stuff, but we are going to
> disconnect you for badness".  I was duly disconnected.
>
> I have removed the 'bad stuff' from /etc/hosts and saved.
>
> hosts now reads :
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1 CASE localhost.localdomain localhost
> ::1      localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
>
> As it did when everything was working.
>
> What am I missing? Where do I find it? Where is my DNS or whatever?
> Why is there no help for the Network manager? Why is the 'Edit
> Connections' on the Network Manager blank? And what does
> NetworkManager Tool really mean?
>
> ]$ nm-tool
>
> State: disconnected
>
> - Device: eth0
>   Type:              Wired
>   Driver:            forcedeth
>   State:             unmanaged
>   HW Address:        00:00:00:00:00:00
>
>   Capabilities:
>     Supported:       yes
>     Carrier Detect:  yes
>     Speed:           100 Mb/s
>
>   Wired Settings
>
> How can I fill these in from the command line?

This is a very improbable long shot, but worth checking any ways. In the
system-config-network control preflet, see if you can find a checkbox
that says something like "Managed by NetworkManager" and make sure it's
checked. I was in the system-config-network panel one day to add a hosts
file entry and suddenly lost network connectivity afterwards. After
poking at it for an hour I found that settting had been unchecked some
how. Although I doubt that's it in your case, I hope it's something
equally simple.

Raymond