Messed up my ISP/Networkmanager connection !? -- [SOLVED by removing NetworkManager]

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 22:10:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 8:25 AM, William Case <billlinux at rogers.com> wrote:

> Hi Kevin, Mikkel, Bruce et al;
>
> NetWorkMangager was the culprit ...
>
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 01:59 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>
> > I just went back and looked, you have a wired ethernet setup.  Why are
> > you using NetworkManager?  Have you tried disabling NetworkManager and
> > starting up the "network" service in its place?
>
> As you suggested, I turned off NetworkManger services.  After rebooting,
> everything worked the way it should. No boot up warnings; browsers and
> Evolution started online; all connections were made.
>
> > (Unless you are somehow
> > married to using NetworkManager....)  "sysconfig-config-network" can
> > then be used to configure the ethernet card, even for DHCP from your
> > router.
>
> I am not married to NetworkManager but ...
> It would be nice to have a simple tool for ordinary users to configure
> their networks, large or small.
>
> [snip]
>
> >From various comments made on the list, and my recent experience
> NetworkManager is not yet ready for prime time.  I was willing to spend
> the time, and still am, to help sort out NetworkMangager problems for
> small wired LANs.

> My problem seems to have boiled down to this:
>
>     1. As originally installed by Ananconda, NetworkManager worked, or
>        at least did not interfere, with my household and Internet
>        networking.
>     2. When I tried to make changes manually, NetworkManager could not
>        recognize those changes if correct, nor give appropriate
>        meaningful  warnings if incorrect, nor reflect the state of
>        things in any of its fields.  It just quit working and would not
>        restart even after corrections had been made from the
>        commandline.
>
> Suggested Solution:
>     1. The developers continue to work on NetworkManager so that it is
>        robust enough to handle people messing about with its settings
>        either from the command line or within the gui.
>     2. Because networking is complex and confusing for users (I don't
>        limit this comment to newbies) the error analysis should be
>        meaningful.
>     3. In fact, I think it is well within the capabilities of today's
>        developers to build a robost network setup analysis tool.
>     4. I would like to see two frontends for NetworkManager. One that
>        is written in plain language with lots of 'Help' and tool tips
>        and with the minimum of technospeak.  And, a second frontend
>        that is for advanced users.  One of the advantages of FOSS is
>        that you can write several different 'thingies' to be used by
>        different types of users.  It doesn't have to be one size fits
>        all like M$.
>
> I was taking this opportunity to finally learn some stuff about
> networking, so I don't begrudge the time.  In fact, that is what got me
> in trouble in the first place, screwing around with my settings to see
> what they would do.

> [...]

I would file a bug.  Anything that gets some attention placed towards
NetworkManager is worth it.  I ended up disabled NM because it would screw
up my wireless connection.  I don't think NM is ready for prime time.  I
would also like to see system-config-network interface to NM (if present)
rather than providing a different interface so that there is a consistant
gui for configuring the network.

Paolo