The assignment of numerical addresses for Domain Names ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Fri Aug 8 02:48:15 UTC 2008

Hi Patrick;

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 21:54 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 21:20 -0400, William Case wrote:
[snip]
> Some policy is documented at http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html for
> example, but in general you can't look at a random IP number and tell
> what it stands for without further investigation. Use "whois" to find
> out about specific assigned numbers.

Yes, I gather the assignments, given history and everything else, are
too random to make them meaningful in themselves.  But thanks for the
policy URL above.  I had looked at the ARIN site but hadn't gone through
the policy page.  There is no answer to my immediate question, but
several incidental questions that I had put aside are answered there.

> Registries tend to assign blocks of addresses according to some estimate
> of future needs, but of course this has varied a lot historically, which
> is why early users such as MIT have /24 spaces (what used to be called
> Class A). Think about it: MIT has 1/256th of all possible IPv4 addresses
> in the world!
>
> IPv6 of course is a whole new ball game, since the space is so large it
> allows several alternative policies to exist side by side.

I have good data on IPv6.  As soon as I put the IPv4 stuff aside I will
invest a few hours in digesting that.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3