[OT] Problem with Centos52 and VMware?

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fri Aug 8 13:11:12 UTC 2008

Joe Tseng wrote:
> I've got a machine I'm using as a VMWare Server host running CentOS52.  Every so often I'd lose contact with it and when I go check it out at the console I see the message "eth0: promiscuous mode enabled."  The only thing on there that I've got running on that host is VMWare (w/add'l host only network) and sshd.  I don't recall this behavior occurring with Fedora or the old RHL as often if ever.  Has anyone seen this before and how do I solve this problem?  Thanks!

Well, this is a Fedora list and not a CentOS or RHEL list, but I'll give
it a shot.  Having promiscuous mode enabled isn't an error per se.  I
keep my eth0 in that mode all the time for Wireshark, et al.
applications.  That shouldn't keep you from getting to the machine.  Is
it possible the eth card hung? What is the status of the card after it
hangs?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support