Java browser plugin Broken on one login only

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Sat Aug 9 14:07:08 UTC 2008

jim# find . -name '*libnull*' -print
./firefox/plugins/libnullplugin.so
./esc-1.0.1/xulrunner/plugins/libnullplugin.so
./firefox-2.0.0.16/plugins/libnullplugin.so
./seamonkey-1.1.11/plugins/libnullplugin.so

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 09:33 -0400, Jim Duda wrote:
>> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>
>>> Check the ~/.mozilla/plugins directory for that account. Maybe you have
>>> a broken Java plugin masking the real one.
>> That directory is empty for this user.
>>
>>> Also, check about:plugins from within Firefox.
>>>
>> Cool, thanks for this tip, I never knew about this.
>>
>> For the broken user, I don't have java in this list.  For other users, I do.
>
> That could happen if the other users have the plugin in their respective
> ~/.mozilla/plugins directories, instead of it being in a centralized
> location.

All of the user .mozilla/plugins directories are empty.

>> I don't see java in the ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat file for the
>> broken user, but I do for the working users.
>>
>> I even renamed the .mozilla directory for the broken user and restarted
>> firefox, however, still no java in about:plugins or pluginreg.dat file.
>>
>> How/when does firefox go looking for plugins?
>
> See http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/
>
> You might also want to go to about:config in Firefox and set the boolean
> value 'plugin.expose_full_path' to True (right-click and select Toggle
> if it's False). This will show you the complete pathname of each plugin
> in about:plugins.

Wow, sweet.

Okay, the broken user is using plugins from /usr/lib/firefox while the
others use /usr/lib/mozilla.  I didn't even know there was a
/usr/lib/firefox.

The broken user has a "null plugin"

So, I did this:

im# find . -name '*libnull*' -print
./firefox/plugins/libnullplugin.so
./esc-1.0.1/xulrunner/plugins/libnullplugin.so
./firefox-2.0.0.16/plugins/libnullplugin.so
./seamonkey-1.1.11/plugins/libnullplugin.so

What makes one user go to /usr/lib/firefox instead of mozilla?