fc9 install

Paul Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Aug 9 20:25:25 UTC 2008

Thanks for the "fedora core" -> "fedora" correction. And, to other
respondent, I could have phrase that "ham sandwich" better.

I have a couple systems running of FC5. I am trying to upgrade to Fedora
9. Haven't been able to get the Linux boxes to talk to internet, so I
downloaded the DVD FC9 iso on my Windows box. Ran sha1sum.exe per
download instructions to confirm it matched SHA1SUM pulled from Fedora site.

Burned a DVD. Actually two to be cautious. Verified both.

Put them in DVD/CD drive of Linux box. I ran the media check and it
successfully verified. Continuing on, the disk ejects with an error box
that say, in text in upper left, "ok" and has a button to push which
says, of course, "ok". Both DVDs do this and I tried on two different
Linux boxes. Let's just say I'm not getting too many hints out of the
process of what might be going on.

I then tried downloading Live CD, verifying, and putting in the same
DVD/CD drive on both machines. Appears to boot properly from CD on both
Linux boxes.

I looked at the install pages and it seems like my options, given I
don't have internet on the Linux yet, are to 1) DVD install/update, 2)
LiveCD install/update, 3) a 6 CD download install/update, or 4) a CD
with the rest on stick.

My questions are 1) "any suggestions on the DVD install failure", 2)
should I just use the LiveCD or should I try the 6 CD version, and 3) I
can't find the man pages on exactly where this flash image is ... I only
see the DVD and LiveCD.

I am being wary and checking on this forum first as I don't understand
what the current problem is and am trying to make sure I pick right path
of action in case there is "something odd" about my existing machines on
FC5 and/or the DVD (though how it can successfully verify media multiple
times and always error when actually starting install is unclear to me).

Linux boxes are HP x4000 and the DVD/CD drives are Lite-On DVD+-R
DH-20A3P-08, if it helps. I burned onto DVD-R since they should handle
both (?)

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Paul