fc9 install

Paul Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Aug 10 01:03:28 UTC 2008

First, an additional thanks for input from Aaron and Poc ... it was f3
and I found info in other vterms once I knew to look f1-7

Repeating same procedure, I looked at ctrl-alt-f3 after the successful
media verification but before it ejected the disk when I clicked "OK"
... the output (hopefully no typos in transcription --- all line
prefixed by time and "INFO"):

kernal command line: initrd=initrd.img BOOT_IMAGE = vmlinuz
anaconda version 11.4.0.82 on i386 starting
fwloader: starting  firmware loader
2074128 kB are available
trying to mount CD drive /dev/sr0 on /mnt/source
mounted loopback device /mnt/runtime on /dev/loop0 as
/mnt/source/images/stage2.img
umounting loopback /mnt/runtime /dev/loop0
mediacheck: /dev/sr0 (Fedora 9 disc ALL) PASSED

After selecting "OK", it ejected the disk so I could do another or
continue. I clicked "continue", it pulled the disk back in, "thought
about it for a wee bit", and ejected with the "Error: ok" window. The
new output in f3 is:

ejecting /dev/sr0
ejecting /dev/sr0

However, when I went to ctrl-alt-f4, I got what I think is the telling
info (edited):

<4> Driver 'sr' needs updating - please use bus_types methods
<6> sr0: scsi3 - mmcdrive: 47x/125x writer dvd=rom cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
<7> Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
<4> ISOFS: Unable to identify CD-ROM format
<4> VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev loop0
<7> ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
<4> Unable to load NLS charset utf8
<4> Unable to load NLS charset utf8
<7> ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
<7> ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
<4> Unable to load NLS charset utf8
<4> Unable to load NLS charset utf8
<7> ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A

ctrl-alt-f5 was full of all sort of complaints with /bin/mount, too many
to transcribe.

Now that I have this info, it seems to me that the DVD doesn't have a
valid driver. I am certain that a question out there is "how did it work
before?". The answer is that it didn't and that's part of the motivation
to get on a supported fedora to sort this and the internet access out
(and some other problems).

I went to the Lite-On site and don't see a thing about Linux drivers.

Given all the messages, I'm not certain if I believe the CD-ROM is
behaving, but at least I know the LiveCD ran FC9 which is good news.
Wondering more and more if getting the minimum from the CD and the rest
off stick is the best way to bypass these problems if there isn't a way
to find a driver I load to get rid of the error messages.

Thanks in advance,
Paul