Stripes on screen after installing Fedora

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 10 06:22:08 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 22:53 +0200, Bjørn Ivar Johnsen wrote:
> I just realized that I have to download a driver to nvidia card
> specially for Linux!!!

Just FYI, that sort of thing *may* or may not be necessary.  Fedora
already comes with a driver for many NVidia graphics chipsets, but you
may have a card that it won't work with, and you may need the closed
binary NVidia driver maintained by NVidia, themselves.  Which, as far as
I thought, is maintained more often.

There are some problems with using the NVidia driver, it's a closed
binary, and you're up a creek without a paddle if it interacts badly
with your system.  I don't use it on two of my PCs, one because their
driver is worse (on that PC) than the one that came with Fedora, the
other PC because the Fedora supplied driver works just fine.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.