Project Stick In The Mud :-)

Lyvim Xaphir knightmerc at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 10 12:01:45 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 23:01 -0700, Russell Miller wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Tom spot Callaway
> <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
>         On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 18:43 -0700, Russell Miller wrote:
>         > What gets me is that it's an integrated soundchip.  Usually
>         those are
>         > pretty well supported, at least in basics.
>

>         Out of curiousity, what soundchip is it? What does lspci say
>         it is? What
>         kind of motherboard is it on?
>
> It's an Azalia on a AMD K9A Platinum.
>
> 00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia
> (and guess what, copy and paste doesn't work into firefox, I had to do
> this manually...  I'm getting frustrated...)

Russell,

I've got a K9A Platinum.  I've had sound working from day one, with a
better set of drivers and a better mixer.  The difference is that I went

http://www.4front-tech.com/download.cgi

And downloaded the latest drivers for my kernel.  The mixer, drivers and
features are much more mature and easier to work with, plus the latest
sound chips are supported.  "Pulseaudio" or whatever it is, is not
needed at all in this scenario.

In addition to that you get more control over the sound card and more
information about what it's doing.  There are also conf files you can
get to in order to customize stuff.

I've had problems with alsa from day one, ever since I started
attempting to record radio broadcasts over the internet.  I got away
from that stuff a long time ago.

LX